Enterprise Zone Tax Credit
Assisting Business Expansion and Relocation
Businesses located in or relocating to Wisconsin may be eligible for Enterprise Zone Tax Credits.
How It Works
A certified business may qualify for tax credits only for eligible activities that occur after an eligibility date established by WEDC. Positions that are created as a result of the tax credits claimed shall be maintained for at least five years after the certification date established by WEDC. Business that wish to apply for Enterprise Zone Tax Credits must submit an application for certification to WEDC. A business will be required to enter into a contract with WEDC for the tax credits prior to any certification or verification of tax credits by WEDC. The contract will include penalties for non-compliance.
The following are businesses that are not eligible for Enterprise Zone Tax Credits:
- Payday loan and title loan companies
- Pawn shops
- Media outlets such as newspapers and radio unless the job creation is significant
- Businesses in the tourism industry unless the job creation is significant
- Primary care medical facilities
- Financial institutions
WEDC will evaluate Enterprise Zone Tax Credit applications based on factors including:
- Whether the project might not occur without the allocation of tax credits
- The extent to which the project will increase employment in this state
- The extent to which the project will contribute to the economic growth of this state
- The financial soundness of the business
- The extent to which the project will increase geographic diversity of available tax credits throughout this state
- Any previous financial assistance that the business received from the Department of Commerce or WEDC
For more information about becoming eligible for the Enterprise Zone Tax Credits, contact a WEDC Regional Account Manager.